Google Chrome has long been the go-to web browser for Android users, offering a seamless and user-friendly browsing experience. However, it’s not uncommon for users to run into certain issues while using the browser, as we have previously seen. And now, a persistent and frustrating issue has emerged, leaving many users in a state of bewilderment and annoyance.
Why is Google Chrome crashing on Android?
- The constant crashing of Google Chrome has become a widespread problem for users worldwide.
- Users have reported a prompt saying ‘The installed version of WebView caused Chrome to crash’.
- The Android System WebView is responsible for this widespread problem.
How to fix the Google Chrome crashing issue
Fortunately, we have come across a workaround that can help fix the issue temporarily. It involves resetting Chrome and Android System WebView.
Steps to fix Google Chrome crashing on Android:
- Uninstall Google Chrome from your Android device.
- Uninstall Android System WebView from your Android device.
- Restart your device.
- Reinstall Google Chrome from the Google Play Store.
- Reinstall Android System WebView from the Google Play Store.
- Launch Google Chrome and check if the crashing issue is resolved.
It’s quite likely that a WebView bug is causing the crashing of Chrome and other Android apps, as uninstalling and reinstalling is ostensibly helping users fix it. However, it is crucial to practice patience while waiting for a stable solution, and to report crashes to Google whenever possible.
Meanwhile, we will keep tabs on the latest developments and inform you as and when we come across anything noteworthy. For more stories related to Google, be sure to follow our dedicated Google section.