Andhra Pradesh is all set to get another greenfield port in Bhavanapadu village in Srikakulam district. Andhra Pradesh Maritime Board (APMB), the implementing agency of the project, has awarded the work contract for the phase 1 of the port project to a joint venture led by Hyderabad-based infrastructure firm Vishwa Samudra Engineering. The joint venture between Vishwa Samudra and Visakhapatnam-based R R Constructions pipped Megha Engineering & Infrastructure (MEIL) to win the EPC deal for Bhavanapadu port. In this article, we will discuss the details of the project, its benefits, and the impact it will have on the state of Andhra Pradesh.
Bhavanapadu Port: Project Overview
The proposed port will have a capacity of 23.53 Million Metric Tonnes Per Annum developed under Phase I and another 83.3 MTPA under Phase II. The project is estimated to cost over Rs 4000 crores, with the phase 1 of the port project estimated at Rs 3600 crores. In August 2020, the state government approved the Detailed Project Report (DPR) prepared by RITES for the development of Bhavanapadu port.
Construction to Begin in April 2023
Andhra Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy will lay the foundation stone to mark the commencement of construction work on Bhavanapadu greenfield Port in Srikakulam district on April 19. The port will be developed by Bhavanapadu Port Development Corporation Limited (BPDCL) under the overall supervision of APMB.
Benefits of Bhavanapadu Port
Andhra has ambitions to develop a series of greenfield ports. In the north of Andhra Pradesh, the designated greenfield port location of Bhavanapadu was chosen as it was considered the one with the best potential for developing a greenfield port. Once the port development is complete, Bhavanapadu is expected to cater to the movement of Iron ore, coal, limestone, edible oil, general cargo, and more.
The port location is roughly about 85 nautical miles off the northeast of Visakhapatnam Port, and it is an inherent advantage in terms of proximity to states like Odisha, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, and Madhya Pradesh. The traffic congestion in Paradip Port is also expected to make Bhavanapadu an attractive alternative option.
Bhavanapadu Port: Project Details
The proposed site for greenfield port land falls under villages of Mulapeta, Rajapuram, Kothalingudu in Santhabommali mandal of Srikakulam district. The state government has so far acquired 1010 acres (408.7 ha) for the development of Bhavanapadu port. The acquired land includes scattered trees of cashew, casuarina, palm trees, coastal sand, salt pans, and open scrub areas.
A fishing harbour is currently located in the project area for local fishermen, and many of the local inhabitants rely on the fishing harbour. The harbour is located near the mouth of Tekkali Creek near the village and was constructed in 1983. Because of sedimentation problems, it never functioned properly.
The National Highway 16 (Chennai-Kolkata) is about 14km from the proposed Bhavanapadu port. The nearest railway station to the proposed port location is Naupada Junction
The proposed port is expected to bring significant economic benefits to the region, generating employment opportunities and boosting the local economy. The state government aims to make Andhra Pradesh a hub for port-led industrialization and attract more investments to the state.
In conclusion, the commencement of construction work on the Bhavanapadu greenfield Port in Srikakulam district is a significant milestone for Andhra Pradesh’s maritime sector. With a capacity of over 100 MMTPA, the port is expected to play a crucial role in the state’s economic development and attract more investments to the region. It will also provide a much-needed alternative to the congested Paradip Port and serve as a gateway for the movement of goods to various parts of the country.
- What is a greenfield port? A greenfield port is a new port built from scratch on undeveloped land, usually with the aim of expanding the country’s port infrastructure or meeting the growing demand for maritime trade.
- What is the capacity of Bhavanapadu greenfield Port? The port will have a capacity of 23.53 Million Metric Tonnes Per Annum developed under Phase I and another 83.3 MTPA under Phase II.
- Who is developing the Bhavanapadu greenfield Port? The port will be developed by Bhavanapadu Port Development Corporation Limited (BPDCL) under the overall supervision of Andhra Pradesh Maritime Board (APMB).
- When will the construction work on the Bhavanapadu greenfield Port begin? Andhra Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy will lay the foundation stone for the port project on April 19, 2023, to mark the commencement of construction work.
- How will the Bhavanapadu greenfield Port benefit the local economy? The port is expected to generate employment opportunities and boost the local economy, making Andhra Pradesh a hub for port-led industrialization and attracting more investments to the state.