In a recent letter to over 4,000 employees, HDFC Bank’s MD and CEO, Sashidhar Jagdishan, shared the bank’s ambitious growth plans after successfully merging with parent company HDFC.
1. Bright Future Ahead: Jagdishan highlighted that the financial services and mortgage sectors are significantly underserved and underpenetrated. With the merger, HDFC Bank is now in a prime position to capitalize on this potential, aiming to double its size every four years.
2. Rebranding and Seamless Merger: The merger’s execution has been meticulous, with dedicated teams working to ensure a seamless integration since the announcement in April last year. As part of the $40 billion all-share deal, HDFC Bank has absorbed all the over 4,000 employees of its parent.
3. Expanding Branch Network: To serve the middle class and upper segments of the country, HDFC Bank plans to add around 1,500 branches annually for several years. Additionally, investments in digital transformation will further enhance the bank’s offerings over the next three years.
4. Emphasizing Governance and Customer Satisfaction: HDFC Bank will assess its employees based on governance, compliance, teamwork, and their ability to delight customers. The focus is on creating a large canvas for personal and professional growth, with an external expert involved in defining roles and hierarchies.
5. Leveraging the Emotional Bond in Home Loans: The emotional bond between customers and home loan financiers presents an opportunity for HDFC Bank to harness growth. The bank aims to leverage the distribution network to expand its home loan product and deepen relationships through cross-selling subsidiaries.
6. Becoming the Fourth Most Valued Lender: Post-merger, HDFC Bank is now the fourth most valued lender globally, closing the asset size gap with state-owned SBI to become the second largest Indian bank.
|Total Business (March 2023)||₹41 lakh crore|
|Net Worth of the Entity||₹4.14 lakh crore|
|Combined Profit (March 2023)||₹60,000 crore|
|HDFC Bank Ownership||100% public|
|HDFC Shareholder Ownership||41%|
Conclusion: The merger between HDFC and HDFC Bank presents a promising future for the institution, with a strong focus on growth, customer satisfaction, and innovation. By strategically leveraging their position, HDFC Bank aims to become a formidable player in the global banking landscape, offering expanded services and enhanced customer experiences.