- Bharat Benz and Reliance Industries showcased an intercity luxury concept coach powered by Hydrogen Fuel Cell technology.
- The unveiling took place at the 4th Energy Transitions Working Group meeting under India’s G20 Presidency in Taleigao, Goa.
- The luxury coach is based on a customized BharatBenz coach chassis and utilizes a fuel cell system designed and developed by Reliance Industries, with components from international partners and significant localization.
- India’s first Hydrogen Fuel Cell intercity luxury coach.
- Can travel approximately 400 km on a single hydrogen fill, offering long-distance travel between cities using clean fuel.
- Delivers a gross system power of 127 kW and a total power of 105 kW.
- Undergoing validation and safety trials over the next 12 months to ensure reliability and safety.
Reliance Industries’ Hydrogen Initiatives
- Previously introduced India’s first Hydrogen Internal Combustion Engine technology solution for heavy-duty trucks at the India Energy Week in Bangalore.
- Pioneering hydrogen propulsion technologies for the future, exploring the viability of hydrogen fuel cell propulsion for transportation.
Benefits of Hydrogen Fuel Cell Technology
- Zero-emission: Hydrogen fuel cells only emit water vapor and do not produce harmful pollutants, reducing environmental impact.
- Long-distance travel: Hydrogen-powered vehicles have the potential for extended travel ranges, making them suitable for intercity travel.
- Fast refueling: Hydrogen refueling is quicker compared to recharging electric vehicles, providing greater convenience for users.
- Reduced dependence on fossil fuels: Hydrogen is a clean and sustainable alternative to traditional fossil fuels, promoting energy diversification.
BharatBenz and Reliance Industries’ collaboration to unveil India’s first Hydrogen Fuel Cell intercity luxury coach marks a significant step towards sustainable and eco-friendly transportation solutions. With the successful development and implementation of hydrogen propulsion technologies, the future of intercity travel looks promising, offering a cleaner and greener mode of transportation for commuters.